Tuesday, July 8, 2014

How do you know how much to charge on shipping?


This question actually stumped me when I first started selling online.  Every time you list an item on an online site, the question on just how much to charge comes up.  Just how do you know how much to charge on the item you’re selling?

After I get all of the pictures I need of the item, I always get a start on the packing process for the item to be mailed.  The first step is to find a box that the item fits in.  I look for a box that is a little bigger so that I can put some packing peanuts around it.

The second step that I do is to wrap anything that is breakable in bubble wrap.


After I get it wrapped, I go ahead and pack the item in the box with the packing peanuts all around it.


Don’t bother with taping up the end that is open.  This way you can put in a packing slip once the item sells.  Another thing that I do is to write on the inside of top of what it is (this helps you out so that you don’t have to unpack it).



 
Now here’s an interesting tip:  two sheets of paper will get a more accurate weight on the package.  I know this sound highly confusing to you.
 
All you have to do is to fold two pieces of paper in half and set it on top of you package.  This will add enough weight to the package when you weigh it to simulate the packing slip, shipping label, and the rest of the mailing tape to close the package.


On the USPS website, there is a postage calculator to help you out.  It will ask for the weight and dimensions of the package in question.  Now you can get a good idea on shipping costs.  One thing I build into the shipping cost is my handling fees.  I bump up the cost by at least a dollar (this helps offset the price of things like gas).

What kinds of tricks like this do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment